Saki Kumagai, the Japan defender most World Cup fans will remember as being just a moment late on Alex Morgan’s goal in the World Cup final game this year, has been warned by the Japan Football Association. All of her pending media appearances have also been put on hold.
The player attended a celebration party with friends from her days at Hosei University, and after having a bit to drink, began to make inappropriate comments about the team. One person at the party decided to relay her comments on twitter, including photos of him and other members holding and biting the gold medal she received.
She was reported to have:
- made disparaging comments about the coach of the team
- said that bullying was rampant and the hierarchical relationships were very strict. She also said that Mana Iwabuchi, being one of the youngest and cutest members of the team was especially troubled by bullying.
- showed, or (allowed to be seen, if the phone was taken without her permission) a locker room photo taken on her iPhone showing teammate Karina Maruyama naked from the waist up
- said that she didn’t even want the gold medal and offered it to anyone who wanted it.
- offered to invite Aya Sameshima to the next party.
- commented that despite being “ugly” Aya Miyama wore perfume on the field.